DIY – Homemade Virgin Coconut Oil – Complete Process Video
This is how coconut oil can be made by anybody at home. It takes about 8 hours to do it, but works well. It isn’t less expensive to make your own coconut oil unless you can find good coconuts for 50 cents each, but I found it interesting to make some. A similar technique might also be used for other oils like peanuts or walnuts.
- 0:38-1:09 – Using a blender is a lot harder, but either way removing the coconut meat from the coconut shells “is a seriously hard job”.
- 1:30-1:57 – Removing the coconut milk from raw brown coconuts. Listen for them to contain milk. Don’t use coconuts that are leaking and don’t use any coconuts if their eyes are too soft.
- 1:58-2:05 – “To crack them open, the best tool to use is a machette or in this case, a meat cleaver.”
- 2:06-3:19 – Use the dull side to crack open the coconut.
- 3:20-4:19 – Shred the coconut meat out of each opened coconut shell.
- 4:20-4:50 – Add filtered water (in equal parts) to your coconut meat to help extract the milk, by straining it.
- 4:51-5:33 – Place wet coconut meat into a clothe and strain it.
- 5:34-6:25 – Put the coconut milk/oil in the refridgerator over night. Use a glass bowl. The solid oil will float to the top and the water will settle to he bottom.
- 6:26-7:09 – Use the “washed” shredded coconut in recipes or dehydrate it and turn it into flour (great for gluten free recipes).
- 7:10-7:46 – Remove the seperated coconut oil cream from the water (that was added earlier).
- 7:47-9:02 – Place the coconut oil cream over a stove and heat on high for several minutes, then reduce heat and stir constantly for up to one hour. Watch for solids to again seperate from the oil. Maintain heat and stirring until the solids become brown, but do not let them burn.
- 9:03-9:27 – Remove from heat and strain out the coconut oil into pyrex. DO NOT USE PLASTIC.
- 9:28-10:25 – It takes approximately 6 coconuts to make 1 cup of coconut oil.
Article source: John Strabismus. Originally published at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5qlPhhjYzU&list=TLb3G7jFyDDHdduT53hTzlYQE3sqDuT8Wx on June 14, 2013. And, also appeared there on December 3, 2013.
Please note that while this site offers information, it should not be taken as medical advice.
Please consult a trusted medical professional before using the information on this site.
Results should be expected to vary from individual to individual. Also, please understand that you may still need to do other things to support your health in addition to using the information on this site as the information on this site is not intended for diagnosis or treatment.