Periodically check back with this blog post for updates.
This post will continue to grow, as Dirty Organics continues conducting research into this area.
Please note, the only purpose of this post, is to document a doctor’s approval of coconut oil for Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
- Undated from healthtap.com, but appearing there on February 15, 2014, Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi was asked if coconut oil can help people with dimentia and replied “I have found it be effective with my patients”. (1)
- In a July 22, 2008 article titled “What If There was a Cure for Alzheimer’s Disease and No One Knew It?”, Dr. Mary T. Newport, MD wrote “If you have a loved one or a patient with Alzheimer’s or one of these other degenerative neurological diseases, consider trying coconut oil”. (2)
- In a July 14, 2012 article titled “Vitamin D and Cholesterol Needed to Prevent Alzheimer’s – Coconut Oil Provides Needed Fuel for the Brain”, Dr. Joseph M. Mercola, DO (Osteopathic Physician) wrote “Coconut oil may help protect you from Alzheimer’s by providing your brain with an additional fuel supply. Coconut oil provides ketones to your brain, and ketones appear to be the preferred source of brain food in patients with diabetes and/or Alzheimer’s. Coconut oil is a primary source of ketones, since it contains 66 percent medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), a type of fat your body can easily and quickly convert into ketones. In effect, coconut oil is a fat that acts like a carbohydrate in your body, and carbs are your brain’s favorite food.” (3)
(1) https://www.healthtap.com/#user_questions/79215-i-heard-pure-coconut-oil-can-help-people-with-dementia-is-there-truth-to-that with comments by Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi. And, appeared there on February 15, 2014. Dr. Ferdowsi is a Board Certified General Practitioner who practices in Coral Gables, FL. He specializes in Feeling Anxious, Female Health, Child Health and Cancer.
(2) “What If There was a Cure for Alzheimer’s Disease and No One Knew It? A Case Study” by Mary T. Newport M.D.. And, appeared there on February 15, 2014. Dr. Newport graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1978. She specializes in Neonatology and practices in the Tampa Bay, FL area.
(3) “Vitamin D and Cholesterol Needed to Prevent Alzheimer’s – Coconut Oil Provides Needed Fuel for the Brain” by Dr. Joseph M. Mercola, DO. Posted July 14, 2012, and appeared there on February 15, 2014. In 1982, Dr. Mercola graduated from the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (now Midwestern University).
Article source: Tawne Bachus of Dirty Organics. Originally published here on February 15, 2014.
Please note that while this site offers information, it should not be taken as medical advice.
Please consult a trusted medical professional before using the information on this site.
Results should be expected to vary from individual to individual. Also, please understand that you may still need to do other things to support your health in addition to using the information on this site as the information on this site is not intended for diagnosis or treatment.