Is Coconut Oil REALLY Healthy? by Dr. Mercola
Natural health physician, Dr. Joseph Mercola discusses the truth about the many health benefits of coconut oil and why it is better than vegetable oil or any other cooking oils.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using this product.
- 0:06-0:19 – 90% of the fat in coconut oil is saturated, but the media is telling you a myth when they try to say that saturated fat is bad.
- 0:19-0:35 – To explain how this myth started, around 1950 an American Scientist named Ancel Keys hypothesized that different kinds of dietary fats have different effects on health. After investigating, he observed that poor health was related to hydrogenated oil.
- 0:36-0:51 – This upset the very large edible oil industry, which responded by attempting to vilify the saturated fat (a different type of fat).
- 0:52-1:07 – In hydrogonated oils, it is specifically the trans fats, that are the primary contributor to heart problems and other serious health issues.
- 1:08-1:18 – “Clearly you want to avoid like the plague, any hydrogenated fats and any trans fats!” There is no controversy there.
- 1:26-1:36 – Because of this process, “statured fats have been unfairly vilianized over the last 50 years. And, many health care professionals are simply confused about this.”
- 1:53-1:55 – “Coconut oil is good for you.”
- 1:56-2:16 – Although 90% of the fat in coconut oil is saturated, (approximately) 50% of that fat is lauric acid. And, lauric acid is a medium chain triglyceride, which has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. The body converts this to monolaurin.
- 2:17-2:27 – “Monolaurin is a monoglyceride, which is very potent and can actually destroy lipid coated viruses.
- 2:28-2:39 – “You would like to consider consuming coconut oil, because the sources of monolaurin are very few in our diet.”
- 2:48-3:12 – Coconut oil has a realitivly high melting point. And melts around 76 degrees.
- 3:13-3:31 – Coconut oil has many healthy benefits. It seems to be a very effective supporter of proper thyroid function which may help optimize metobolic rate assisting with weight control. Also, it has well documented benefits for heart health.
- 3:32-4:01 – It is also quite helpful to the skin.
- 4:35-4:55 – If for any reason coconut oil makes you nauseous, as some food does, do not consume it or consume smaller amounts.
- 5:08-5:30 – Many people find that it is a useful cooking oil as an alternative to olive oil and because of the high levels of saturated fats it will be harder to damage from the heat.
- 5:31-5:44 – In summary, he hopes that you use this information to continue to take control of your life.
Article source: Dr. Joseph Mercola. Originally published at http://www.youtube.com/embed/vOBuAe1IVRM on February 11, 2009. And, also appeared there on February 25, 2014.
Please note that while this site offers information, it should not be taken as medical advice.
Please consult a trusted medical professional before using the information on this site.
Results should be expected to vary from individual to individual. Also, please understand that you may still need to do other things to support your health in addition to using the information on this site as the information on this site is not intended for diagnosis or treatment.